Thursday, May 7, 2009 | 4:55 PM
In some cases, adding listings, claiming listings, and correcting other information on Google Maps can lead to duplicates of your listing appearing in your Local Business Center account. In the Help Forum, we often get questions about how to remove these duplicates. These are the steps that we recommend:
Disclaimer: Before you get started, it's important to remember that a listing contains information merged from multiple sources. Suspending a duplicate listing could cause the original listing to be removed from Maps, because all sources of information for both the original and the duplicate might be suppressed.
- Choose the listing that you'd prefer to keep in your account. Make sure that you have all your enhanced content (photos, business hours, description) attached to this listing and this listing only.
- For duplicates of this listing in your account (the ones you want to remove), remove all enhanced information. Keep only required information, like the business title, address, and onephone number.
- Submit these changes and verify as necessary.
- Now, sit tight for a couple of weeks - just for good measure.
- Delete the duplicates from your account, choosing Remove this listing from my Local Business Center account.
That's it! Now you should only have one entry to control the details of your business listing. Be patient with updating certain kinds of information, like pictures -- they should eventually appear in Maps.